Armed man shot and killed by Secret Service after breaking into Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence

A man armed with a gun and a fuel can has been shot dead by the Secret Service after breaking through the secure perimeter surrounding President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago resort.

The federal agents announced the fatal shooting on Sunday morning, but did not reveal the identity of the alleged gunman who was shot entering the president’s 62,500 square feet Palm Beach residence.

They did reveal that the dead suspect was a man in his 20s from North Carolina. In a statement, the Secret Service said the armed individual was ‘observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can.’

The federal agency said that the man had been reported missing by his family days ago and is believed to have travelled south, with the Guardian reporting that he managed to acquire a shotgun on his way to Florida.

Donald Trump often conducts the business of state from Mar-a-Lago (Al Drago/Getty Images)

Donald Trump often conducts the business of state from Mar-a-Lago (Al Drago/Getty Images)

Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said that a box for the firearm had been recovered from the man’s vehicle, which entered through Mar-a-Lago’s north gate at around 1.30am on Sunday morning.

Investigators believe he gained access as another vehicle left the heavily secured resort.

He said that the armed man was then confronted by Secret Service agents, who ordered him to ‘drop the items’ he was carrying, a fuel can and a shotgun. Then, when his gun was raised, they fatally shot him.

No federal personnel or local police officers were injured in the confrontation, with the Secret Service statement indicating that the only shots fired were from law enforcement agents.

Although they are often at Mar-a-Lago on the weekends, President Trump and First Lady Melania were confirmed as being in Washington DC when the fatal incident took place.

Palm Beach sheriffs shared images of the shotgun and fuel can at a press conference on Sunday (Palm Beach County Sheriff)

Palm Beach sheriffs shared images of the shotgun and fuel can at a press conference on Sunday (Palm Beach County Sheriff)

The Secret Service stated that there were no ‘protectees present at the location at the time of the incident.’

The agency’s statement added: “The incident, including the individual’s background, actions, potential motive, and the use of force, is under investigation by the FBI, the US Secret Service, and the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office.”

It is understood that the identity of the shooter is known to law enforcement and will be released once his next of kin have been informed. At a press conference on Sunday morning, Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw shared further details, showing the red fuel can and shotgun recovered at the scene.

The Secret Service statement added that their agents would be placed on leave after the shooting, adding: “In accordance with agency policy, the involved Secret Service agents will be place on routine administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.”

The White House has been approached for comment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *